Facing History and Ourselves Looks to Expand Student Opportunities

By: Alyssa Noble and Brian Orlando

The Facing History Club has been struggling to become an officially recognized WHS club for the past two years; however, this year the F.H.C. is pleased to announce it’s official. With WHS social studies teacher Gregory Gallagher advising the group and officers, President Patrick Bryant, Vice Presidents Brian Goodliffe and Sam Plumber, Secretary Alyssa Noble, and Treasurer Sarah Hart, this club was created to advocate for the Facing History and Ourselves elective.

The purpose of the club is also to raise money for the annual
Friends of Facing History dinner. This event is held by the club and the
Friends of Facing History. The Friends are a committee who support the class and help keep it alive. Some of the chairwomen include: Pam Tabb, Gail McBride, Diane Libby, MaryAnn Bryant, and Sandra Block. Facing History was fortunate enough to also have support from Reverend Cynthia A. Frado, Westborough, MA Interfaith Representative. Last year they raised $1000 and rewarded it to an influential student for his college education.

They have a huge support network to back up this program,
because how moving the objectives of the course are. The class teaches awareness of accepting others. “I was truly moved by this class; I looked into myself and realized who I want to be seen as in society. Also Mr. Gallagher is one of the most influential people I have had the opportunity to meet,” states senior Alyssa Noble.

Some goals of F.H.C. are to expand and raise awareness, and
advocate the message of improving how we treat others. This course is full of passion and has an abundance of seniors hooked on finding themselves and improving school bullying. Senior Patrick Bryant thoughtfully reflects on the class, “I look at what I say differently now, while talking people I always ask the question, is what I am saying hurtful?” Bryant thinks this class could start “a very moving change to how we view our words.”

The difficulty the club faces is the fact that the members in
the club are only seniors. When the seniors leave all their hard work will
have to be redone, but this is why current members are working extremely hard to make this life changing class available for juniors as well. So far this task is moving ahead, but moving around classes and proper teacher training for new courses have caused bumps in the path to expansion.

With all of the support Facing History has they hope to overcome any struggles, but they know building awareness will be a huge step to expanding the club. Another former Facing History student senior Brian Orlando encourages, “I hope everyone takes the opportunity to take this class, because I feel everyone will benefit, which will then improve our school as a whole.”