This is a military operation:Nothing ever goes according to plan

by Ricky Packard

Valkyrie , a World War II historical thriller that opened on Christmas, tells the story of the attempt to assassinate Hitler that occurred on July 20th, 1944. German Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (played by Tom Cruise) leads a determined band of German officers who feel it is their duty to kill Hitler. These are officers who have seen the war crimes committed by Hitler’s loyalists and want to make a difference before Europe is laid to waste. Stauffenberg is drawn into the already complex conspiracy when he is severely wounded in North Africa, causing him to be transferred back to Berlin. Ironically, the officers plan to seize control of Berlin using Hitler’s own reserve army once he is dead.

Almost the entire first half of the film is spent introducing the various characters, so it may appear a bit slow and by trying to tell too many individual stories at once the movie suffers a bit. But when the film moves towards the climax, there are plenty of tense moments. The outcome won’t be a surprise to you, but that doesn’t stop the movie from providing excitement. If you have never learned about Hitler, this movie will  give you an even greater shock as it progresses. For people interested in the time period, this is a remarkably accurate war film. This is a rare film “based on a true story” that actually sticks to the facts. Due to this, the characters feel more real than in other historical films like Saving Private Ryan. It provides some very authentic looking images of Hitler’s Germany in its demise. Despite being a thriller, Valkyrie is not a casual movie, or even an action packed one. It is a very psychological thriller, with only a few action sequences and requiring attention at the start. But there is rising tension for everyone who sees it, and whether you’re familiar with the history or not, it has a dark and emotional conclusion. Valkyrie is a WWII movie on par with the best, and provokes thought of what could have been.