A Small Group, Making A Big Difference: WHS’s ULEAD group

stop underage drinking

Westborough High School’s ULEAD group is an exclusive group of students who are against destructive decisions. This group gathers to discuss issues that pertain to what they believe is right. The group members, including the leaders and the students, decide which activities that they would find fun that doesn’t involve any peer pressure of substance abuse.

The members of ULEAD are strongly against the use of alcohol and drugs. WHS Physical Education teacher and ULEAD co-advisor Mr. Rota sees these teenagers as the school’s “role models”. The kids feel that it’s not necessary to abuse alcohol and drugs in order to have fun. They find fun things to do as a group that doesn’t involve these things.

ULEAD meets the first Tuesday of every month in Ms. MacAlpine’s room. Mr. Ellis is the other co-advisor. During each meeting, the group discusses ideas about what activity the group will do. These events give the students opportunities to have fun without getting into trouble.

As group member Jamie Gagliano sees it, it’s a “good way to promote the idea” of being substance free.

After discussing different ideas pertaining to the activity each month, Mr. Rota sends Monkey Survey e-mail. This way, the kids of ULEAD can choose which event they would like to do the most. Some of the events that they have participated in this year include going to the movies and attending the school play. There has also been some discussion of going to Lazer Zone.

ULEAD is a great opportunity for kids who feel strongly against the use of drugs and alcohol. It allows kids to have fun without feeling pressured to engage in destructive decisions. ULEAD wants to show kids that there are so many other alternatives that you can do with friends to have a good time without having to make a bad decision.