Scrunchies: A Fashionable Twist on Hair Ties

By: Morgane Inhaber ’22

Walking in the halls of Westborough High School, I can guarantee you will see many girls with scrunchies either in their hair or on their wrists. With a variety of styles, colors, and materials to choose from, there seem to be endless possibilities for these accessories. Whether you’re wearing them to complete your outfit with a unique pattern or color, or have a looser fitting hair tie, the scrunchies trend is back from the eighties and is now a popular trend among high school students.

In 1986, Rommy Revson, a nightclub singer, was upset with the classic hair ties that damaged her hair; she wanted a softer and healthier hair tie for her hair. Revson had an idea. She proceeded to sew fabric around a piece of elastic, which was deemed not only productive but fashionable as well. That was when the scrunchies came to life.  The name “scrunchie” is named after Revson’s dog.

Although the scrunchie industry boomed in the late 1980s, they died out in the late nineties and in the early 2000s when trends such as butterfly clips and denim on denim came into style. The days of high ponytails and vibrant hair accessories were over. This is why many were surprised as they seemed to emerge now among the younger generations.

Many popular stores now sell scrunchies such as Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, and American Eagle. You can get single scrunchies starting as low as $2.90 to 20-packs for $10. Many celebrities like Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande are following the trend and wearing scrunchies to up their look and inspire the youth as they dance across the stage or step out onto the streets.

Cara Ciavara, a sophomore here at WHS, states, “I wear scrunchies because they never give me a headache, don’t damage my hair, and can make any outfit cuter.” No hesitation is necessary: scrunchies are way to go!

Sources:

https://www.brit.co/scrunchie-hair-real-history/

https://www.today.com/style/hair-scrunchies-are-back-we-re-not-even-mad-about-t114146