Marvel’s Spider-Man video game: A must play for PlayStation Users

By: Ryder Rasmussen ’21

The  famous comic book icon Spider-Man has had a somewhat rough past when it comes to videogames. While there have been some successes with games such as Spider-Man 2 (2004) and Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (2008) receiving praise from both fans and critics, games from more recent years, specifically the two based off the shortly-lived Marc Webb directed film franchise, have failed to satisfy fans. So when Insomniac Games announced back in 2016 that they were producing the next PlayStation exclusive, Marvel’s Spider-Man, fans were hopeful that this could stand out from the last two games and prove to be just as successful as what fans loved before.

The game released on September 7  to critical acclaim, becoming one of the fastest selling Marvel Games of all time. Players were pleased to see their expectations met and to have the game go above and beyond in some areas. A few factors go into making this Playstation exclusive such a success, such as the story and gameplay.

The story is one that is right for this character. Fans have expressed that they’re tired of seeing Spider-Man’s and so many other superheroes’ origins retold time and time again. Insomniac is well aware of this and is why this adventure takes place 8 years into Peter Parker’s career as Spider-Man. Insomniac has also proven through this game that they understand the complexities of the character.

Everyone’s interpretation of Spider-Man varies, and as a result, the story gives nods and takes inspiration from many different stories that came before it, while remaining original at the same time. Insomniac also knows that the best Spider-Man stories include Peter Parker having just as important of a role as Spider-Man. Because of these changes, Peter and other characters important to the Marvel superhero are also playable and have long portions of the game where they’re the ones in the spotlight.

The gameplay proves to be complex and enjoyable. The two main parts that make up the gameplay are web-swinging and combat. Web-swinging is something that is crucial to any Spider-Man game, but hasn’t always been executed well. Issues in previous games include the camera being too close to Spider-Man or the webs he shoots out not actually attaching to anything when giving the appearance that they are. All those issues are non-existent in this game however, and the player should expect a very satisfying feeling when swinging around the city. Along with the spectacular web-swinging mechanics, the combat is also well executed. Critics have drawn comparisons to the very successful Batman Arkham franchise when it comes the mechanics of combat. The game clearly draws inspiration from that series in it’s combat, but it’s different enough that it doesn’t feel like you’re playing the same game.

Marvel’s Spider-Man is by far the best Spider-Man game to date, and definitely a notable entry into the superhero video game genre. Insomniac makes the experience of playing this game so enjoyable with a great, unique story, characters that the player will care about, and incredible gameplay. Some players are so invested in this game that they’ve already completed it from start to finish. But there’s still more content to come for those who want more from this game. Extra missions will be coming to the game in the form of DLC throughout the rest of the year. A lot of players hope that they can expect even more from Insomniac when it comes to Spider-Man. Considering how successful the game has been, an eventual sequel is not at all an unrealistic expectation.