“Queen for Queen”: a song to check out

Queen for Queen:  a song to check out

by:  Olivia Williams

On May 5, 2017, Motionless in White released the song “Queen for Queen” from their album Graveyard Shift. This song is amazing.  Motionless in White has a distinct sound to them; “Queen for Queen” keeps that sound while also being extremely different from so much of what they do as a metalcore band.

During the chorus of “Queen for Queen”, there is the sound of dramatic guitar and drums paired with a relaxed melody, which is not a mixture that I have heard from the band much before.  In addition,  this song has the least amount of screaming that I have heard compared to their previous music. It is very different from their normal sound, yet it is still such a beautiful and well executed song.

The lyrics are poetic and alluring; some examples being “The saint charade is over / plastic royalty exposed You wanna play the victim, to preach upon your throne”, “Just a pawn in a king’s disguise”, “I never said I’m perfect, there’s a guilt behind these eyes So check me if it helps you fall asleep at night”; those being personal favorites.

There is no official meaning to this song, but my personal speculation is that “Queen for Queen” is about those who hide behind a large organization, for example religion, just to bring others down and shame them. I see that especially with the lyrics “you wanna play the victim, to preach upon your throne.”  Again using the example of religion as the large organization, this lyric does point out the event where people like the those involved with the Westboro Baptist Church are on their own pedestal of strict religion. They use that platform to try to change people and the world around them, in a destructive manner, to what they want. Using other people that are against their religion is a way to victimize themselves.

“Queen for Queen” shows a real maturity and growth in Motionless in White balancing their different instruments and the vocals in their music; and their put the listener into a certain mindset or make them feel something powerful. “Queen for Queen” as well as other songs by Motionless in White can be found on Youtube, Pandora, Spotify, Deezer, iHeartRadio, Tunein, and Play Music. This all in all is a brilliantly written and composed song and I, myself, look forward to hearing more songs like “Queen for Queen” be put out by them in the future.

Sources used:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/motionless-in-white-mn0000726201/biography

Motionless in White is an American band originally formed in Scranton, Pennsylvania.  Frontman Chris Cerulli, and several others who are no longer in the band, started Motionless in White while still in high school. The current members of Motionless in White are:  Chris Cerulli- vocalist, Ricky Olson- guitarist, Vinny Mauro- drummer, Devin Sola- bass guitarist, and Ryan Sitkowski- guitarist.  For more about the band, check out their website:

http://www.motionlessinwhite.net/