Kaitlyn Corcoran:

By:  Kaitlyn Corcoran

Everyone always said “enjoy high school it goes by fast”; 14 year old me would just respond by dismissing the idea because there was no way 4 years could go by that quickly right? I never really believed it until now, as I sit here and write my senior testimony 4 years later, feeling like I was just a scared freshman entering the high school for the first time.

As the oldest child in the family, I had no idea what to expect, I was scared and excited at the same time because although high school is hard, it’s a totally new experience and I was ready for it.

Everyone always says that when you get to high school a lot of things change and some of the people you are friends with at the beginning won’t necessarily be your friends by the end of senior year. It’s not a bad thing, people just change. I would listen to people say that and think, ok that might happen for a lot of people, but that isn’t going to happen to me. At the time what I didn’t realize was that I was going to be the one who changed not my friends. My best friend from elementary school up until 8th grade had decided to go to a different high school. I was so sad about it at first, but I think it made me realize that it was time for me to grow and change and branch out to make new friends.

The end of freshman year and most of sophomore year was hard for me because I was finally figuring out who I was. Part of the process was realizing it was time for me to quit soccer and track and join the field hockey and ice hockey teams. These decisions were really good decisions for me. I loved the sports more and made so many friends through playing those sports. I would like to thank my parents and friends for helping me through those tough times it really made a huge difference.

Junior year was really my breakthrough year, I became close with a lot of my friends who I have now and I could not be happier. Honestly, I think the thing that helped me make so many of my close friends was staying true to who I am. That is the biggest piece of advice I could give someone–stay true to who you are, it’s so important. Even when you don’t have hope that things will change–I promise they will. Another thought I would like to leave you with is that if you need help talk to someone,  even if you don’t think you need to, sometimes it’s nice to just be able to talk to someone.

I would like to give a shoutout to all my friends, you know who you are, thank you for helping me through high school. You guys are going to do amazing things next year.

I would also like to thank Mrs.Stoker for always being there for me and being so happy and positive all the time. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have discovered my love for journalism, and I would not be going on to High Point University to study broadcast journalism.