Michael Townsend: Hasta la vista

By Michael Townsend

First things first, I will never miss walking into the bland brown building known as Westborough High School. The rectangular hallways will have no special place in my heart and I am more than thrilled that I have a chance to start somewhere new at UMass Amherst this August. Since sophomore year I have dreamed of the opportunity to graduate and move on, and thankfully I will have that opportunity come June 3rd. Westborough High School may be listed among the best public high schools in Massachusetts, but in reality it has very little to offer other than sending people to college. My classes, with the exception of a few, were rather uninspiring and my main reason for trying at all in high school was to meet my parents’ “A’s and B’s” requirement.

A few of the things I actually did enjoy were football and the Lobby Observer. These activities gave me the ability to actually express myself while my individuality was otherwise stifled. I am especially thankful to Mrs. Stoker, who opened my eyes to the joy of writing, and also to Mr. Perryman, who was probably the most realistic teacher I ever had. Mrs. Papetti, Mrs. Miller, Mrs. Parteleno, and Mrs. Titus were also faculty members that I was thankful to have known during my time here. At certain points, I wish that I had done more to make my high school experience better, but in the end it doesn’t really matter anyways. I will attend some football games next year, but otherwise I consider the bond between myself and my high school alma mater to be completely and totally severed. Hasta la vista, WHS.