Letter to Freshmen

By:  Hannah Lugabihl

Attention freshman! I bet you are very excited to be here at high school. Yay you’ve grown up! But seriously like now is the time to get your act together and care about your life. It is no time to be complaining about what homework assignments you have been given or mommy took my phone away and grounded me. This is a time to do well, get involved in school activities and build stronger ties with your family.

It is a time to figure out who you are and what you are going to do with your life. You may not know now, you may not know when you are a senior and you may not know when you are 25. The point is, now is the time to be thinking about that. What do you want to do for the rest of your life? I’m a senior and I don’t even know.

But my situation is a lot different. I do not have a whole week to tell you my story because that’s how long it would take, but I will give you an overview. I have not been with my birth parents since I was four and a half. I had my half sister taken away, have been in and out of many different foster homes and lost them too. I did not have anyone and I had a lot of trust issues. I mean I’m sure we all do to some degree. But then I got adopted. And those trust issues came out.

Since 2012 I have been in and out of hospitals and programs and I have not been with my “family” since I was 15. Do I regret it all? No. It has made me who I am today. I have learned to be independent and support myself while maintaining everything I need to. Going through what I have been through has taught me to appreciate the things we have in life and how much we don’t realize a good thing til it’s gone. 

The best thing you guys as freshmen can do is make sure you are taking school seriously. Pick classes that you know you are capable of doing and that will help you the most. Don’t worry about taking classes that won’t help. And also don’t get involved in drama–it’s pointless. That was a huge mistake I made in my junior year. I let what others said about me get to me.

And also don’t do drugs. I have been in those assemblies where someone stands up in the front of the room and blabs on and on about not doing drugs. And everyone leaves the room laughing because come on who’s cool if they don’t do them? But honestly I don’t need to spend hours explaining what I’m sure most of you have already heard a million times. And for some of you maybe not. I am just here to tell you that I have been through more than most likely any of you will ever go through and I have made it. And you can too.

I can guarantee that every single one of you will graduate high school and get accepted into college. And the teachers here and your family are all here to help you. Have fun and enjoy school. It’s not as bad as you all may think.