Westborough Boys Track and Field Season Preview

By: Ethan Gaffney

As the snow melts and the weather becomes warmer, the 2017 Westborough Boys Track and Field team gears up in hopes of another successful track season.

This year the boys track and field team is distance runner heavy, lead by seniors Connor Schoen, Eamonn Mazur, Pavin Narahari and Key Li. The leadership from these seniors will help the large number of underclassmen prepare for the season. Even though there are less sprinters this year, the lack of senior leadership is non-apparent on the sprinters’ side of the team. Senior Kofi Dadzie and Junior Eugene Meleskevich look to lead a small but talented sprinter team. These two runners will be helped out by seniors Jacob Borgia, Ethan Gaffney, Mike Reh, Aaron Baubils, Junior Isaiah Powers, Connor Jones, and sophomore Tommy Riela.

As in years past, the combination of talented distance runners and sprinters along with long jump and pole vaulters has always given WHS an advantage in the Mid Wach league. This is shown through past history as the Westborough Boys Track and Field team have won the league title a dominating 16 years in a row.

As always the goal of winning the league title is always in view of the WHS track team, but this year Dadzie wants to see his team do more. “I think we’ve got the depth to really make a far push as a team this year. We haven’t won districts in a while and if there was a year to do it, it’d be this one. The distance/hybrid squad is bigger than ever and though there’s a smaller group in the sprints this year, I feel like Eugene, Isaiah, and myself have the ability to lead with a solid supporting cast in Tommy Riela. We’ve gotten by without a big triple jumper for a while but we’re not making a push without consistent points in that event. High jump and long jump are a different story. We’ve got enough depth to do some serious damage and I can’t wait for the season to start.”

The team’s first meet is on Friday, April 7 at WHS.