Week 5 rec ball wrap up

Week 5 rec ball wrap up

By: Mohammed Ramzanali

Yes, Team Morin is still #1. Their match up on Sunday was #2 Team Smith. Was this game supposed to be very close? Yes. But was it? Nope it sure wasn’t. After two gritty wins last week, Team Morin arguably had a tougher match up on Sunday yet it seemed as though Team Smith had not come to play. Securing the win basically at half time, Team Morin moves onto 7-0. Ryan Alexander score 20 points, Shaw Taylor had 13 and Zach Walker had 11. Not much can be said about this team except for that they are really good and whatever Coach Morin and Coach Taylor are doing at practice they better keep it up because playoffs are right around the corner.

At #2 we have Team Meyer. They have made a great argument on why they deserve #2 and why they are going to stay at #2: it is because they keep on winning. Only winning by 6 to Team Guilbeau, Avery Andrews had another strong performance with 17 points and Kevin Ji added 15. This is a good sign as Ji’s numbers are becoming more consistent week after week. As of right now with how their schedule is looking and with how they have been playing this team isn’t moving from the #2 spot anytime soon.

Team Smith at #3 turned a couple of heads. Most people thought that Team Barry would take the #3 spot because of their huge win on Sunday and Team Smith’s disappointing loss. But, nonetheless, Team Smith has to go back to their original style of defense they started with this season because if they do what they did on Sunday against Team Morin they aren’t going to last much longer. They did have a convincing win on Monday against Team Mac. Allowing 19 points in the first half and 10 points in the second half is really good but it has to stay consistent especially with the other teams in the top-5. Another major thing this team has to turn around is getting Cord Callahan to score. He needs to score at least 15 points a game to give his team the best chance to win.

Team Bersani stays at #4. They had two good wins but keep in mind they were against two teams which reside in the bottom four. Still this team looks great especially with Sam Correnti taking care of business. Ryan Nichols still looks good week in and week out. However, the emergence of Ryan French as a shooter and as a playmaker is something this team can take advantage of big time. He really is a threat now from the outside and can handle the ball and will be good in the long run. Looks like the suicides Coach Bersani makes the team run are paying off.

At #5 we have Team Barry. They had a huge win against Team Philbrook on Sunday. Then on Sunday, when everyone expected the game to be close, Team Barry took Team Hillier out to the woodshed and gave them a good lickin’. Seeing this team win two was great after they lost two in a row. This team will definitely be able to stay in the top-5 as long as they keep up the way they are playing. With Joe Fitz back and a full roster, this team is back and better than ever just in time for the end of the season and the beginning of the playoffs.

Team Vanheest, Hiller, Ruhl and Mac reside in the middle of the pack this week. Team Vanheest keeps winning and they are emerging as a team that could make a serious run. Be on the lookout for them especially now with Chris and Greg Amador and Jack Vanheest being able to find their strengths and win some games. Team Hiller had a terrible week. They barely got by Team Kelley, which is a team they should be able to beat easily in the eyes of a lot of people. Then they got thrown around Monday night by a very good Team Barry. Hopefully they can bounce back and recover before playoffs. Team Ruhl had another heartbreaking loss. Losing by only three to a good Vanheest team, they will need to win more games to not drop down further. One good thing to take away is that they almost won the game without Matty Ruhl. Mohammed had 19 points and Aaron Wong had 18 points. This is a big deal considering Ruhl scores a majority of their points. Hopefully they can make a season ending run before playoffs. Team Mac is very inconsistent. They put up 76 points on Sunday but only put up 29 points on Monday. This team needs to work on their chemistry, especially between Jack Walthall and Ben Horsfall seeing as those two are the main scorers.

Nothing has changed with the bottom ranking teams. All we can do is hope and pray they get one more win before the season ends and then maybe a playoff win. The chances are very slim but anything can happen. After all, this is rec. ball.