President-Elect Trump: Why?

By: Emma Grossman

November 8, 2016. The day that will mark history forever. The day Americans elected Donald J. Trump to be the 45th President of the United States. Now I, along with many others, find myself asking the same question over and over again: Why?

And then these questions:  Why did Donald Trump, a man with no political background, clinch the White House? Why did Americans all over the country decide he would be a better candidate to lead our country for at least the next four years than a woman who was formerly the Secretary of State? Why did Michigan, a state that hasn’t voted for a Republican nominee since 1988, vote for Trump this year? Why did Wisconsin, a state that hasn’t voted conservatively since 1984, suddenly vote to elect Trump? Why did female voters continuously show support for a man who has bragged about committing sexual assault and has even been accused of rape by twelve women? Why did people all across this nation wake up afraid and nervous that their new President will deport them back to their home countries? Why did we allow this man to become the new leader of our country?

President-elect Donald Trump won seven out of the eleven “swing states” in the election, including the very crucial states of Florida and Pennsylvania, boosting him to victory. Trump also surprisingly clinched both Wisconsin and Michigan, putting the final nail in Secretary Clinton’s coffin, as she called her opponent to concede at approximately 2:30 am on November 9. However, Secretary Clinton had not visited the state of Wisconsin since she won the primary election, due to the fact that Democrats had consistently won the state for thirty two years. She thought she had it in the bag.

In fact, most every news station at about 7:00 pm had Clinton beating Trump and taking control of the White House. However, around 9:00 pm, things started to change; Trump began taking leads in key states, including Florida, and Clinton supporters were slowly losing their faith. As the night progressed, Secretary Clinton had gradually caught up to Trump, but it was not enough to win the Presidency. Although she did not win, Clinton never gave up. Trump, in his acceptance speech, even said, “I congratulated [Clinton] and [Clinton’s] family on a very, very hard-fought campaign. I mean, she fought very hard. Hillary has worked very long and very hard over a long period of time, and we owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to our country.”

Even though there are certainly many American citizens rejoicing that Trump is now soon to be the 45th President of the United States, there are millions mourning Clinton’s loss. Those mourners especially include women who voted for their first female President and were in turn faced with a racist, sexist man as our new leader. Clinton, at her concession speech on Wednesday morning spoke out to young women, “To all the women and especially young women who put their faith in this campaign and in me, I want you to know that nothing has made me prouder to be your champion.”

Donald Trump is our new POTUS, and some things are bound to change. However, my final hope is that even though he shocked America by winning this election, that he doesn’t try to make a country that was already great into a “greater” country we don’t recognize anymore.