The “All Star” Shoe of Westborough High School

By: Emma West and Grace Buffone

“The popularity of Converse is growing,” remarks Casey McNamara, a freshman at Westborough High School. “Almost every girl here at Westborough High has a pair,” she explains.

McNamara is not the only one noticing this rising trend. Converse’s annual revenue report states that“women’s products are seen rising to $7 billion by 2017 from $4 billion.”

Chuck Taylor All Stars, which you may know simply as “Converse,” have been around for almost a century. They were developed for basketball players in 1917 and given their modern name of “Chuck Taylors” in 1920. The Converse company, however, dates back to 1908; they began by selling galoshes and other rubber shoes for the working class.

Throughout the twentieth century, All Stars rose in popularity. Starting out as athletic shoes for professional basketball players, they quickly became a staple of fashion and comfort for all ages and occupations.

However, in the late 1980s, Converse came under economic stress. Changes of ownership and management were not enough; in 2002, the company was forced to file for bankruptcy.  Nike bought the company for $305 million and turned its fate around. Before the buy out, Converse reported just $205 million total sales; in 2013, it was a $1.4 billion dollar business.

Chuck Taylor All Stars come in more than 15 colors and are available in both high top and low top. The high top version just about cover your ankle, while the lower cut version sit just below the ankle. Both feature a rubber sole with the iconic All Star logo on the lower heel.

Fans of this classic trend can be seen wearing them casually, with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, or dressed up with a nice, spring dress. The shoes are seen to be suited for every occasion, whether it’s a jog or a dance.

One of Converse’s most popular colors at the moment is optic white. Kate Foster, a freshman at Westborough High School, praises the classic favorite.  “White is, by far, the best color of Converse. They can be dressed up or dressed down, and look great on anyone.”

Trends come and go, but from the look and the opinions of Westborough High students, it appears that this favorite is here to stay.