Math Team: Its New Addition with New Coach

By: Carly Flahive and Zach Smith

The Westborough High School math team is a competitive extra-curricular activity that competes in 3-4 different competitions a year. This year, WHS math teacher, Mr. Richards, has taken on the position of advisor and coach for the teams.

With both a freshman and varsity team, WHS students have the ability to compete at different levels. Although the freshman team is only allowed to carry freshman members, the varsity team is lucky enough to have freshman Sathwik Karnik compete with both teams. Although the varsity team is primarily sophomores, juniors, and seniors, as Karnik has proven, it is possible to succeed with both.

The freshman team competes 3 times a year while the varsity team has 4 meets. Throughout the year, the teams compete against other schools where they are graded on the challenging problems which they attempt. They hope to have a successful year.

Senior Luke Scirappa has been a member of the team all 4 years high school. Although the team does not meet too often, he wishes they could meet more frequently. He loves being part of the team as he explains, “I enjoy solving difficult problems and knowing how to solve them and solve them quickly.”

Scirappa describes how “Our biggest competition is AMSA and Mass Academy.” Although both schools will be a challenge, they hope to be able to pull out a win in the tough competition.

Although the team has only 4 meets a year, on Wednesdays right after school until the evening, they are hoping to do well.